Rafting Trip
It all started when my sister in law Sara told me she was headed up this way to visit with her daughter Savannah and they were thinking of going rafting. I naturally invited myself and Steve and the kids. So I started looking around for a rafting trip that I would be able to bring Claire. I found the perfect trip for us through Raft California. I booked a trip for the 6 of us. Steve's mom heard we were going and wanted to come along so we added her, then Savannah's roomate Iris wanted to come too so we were now a group of 8.
We met our tour guide at a hotel in Auburn. We piled onto the shuttle bus and headed to the American River. We were rafting the Lower Middle Fork American River. It was a blast!!! There was another group on the shuttle bus with us. A group of 3, two adults and a child... I'm guessing he was around 6 years old. Anyway, the ride down to the river felt forever long, we had to wear our face masks and the air didn't always work. My face was so sweaty and it was hard to breathe. Not going to lie, I moved my mask away from my face a few times. Once we got there we all jumped out and ripped our masks off. Our tour guide Nick began giving us the safety speech. He made it fun. He asked for a volunteer and I grabbed Evan's arm to raise up his hand. He showed up how to rescue someone should anyone fall out of the raft. We also rented 2 kayaks. They were both 2 man kayaks. Steve started in a kayak and Iris and Savannah in the other. The rest of us hopped in the raft. The group of 3 had their own raft with a different guide.
Our guide Nick was AWESOME! If we book another trip with this company (which we plan on doing) we will for sure request Nick as our guide. Those of us in the raft had the option of rowing or not rowing... Evan was rowing and Claire was enjoying riding in the front of the boat. She loved the rapids. It was so fun watching her get excited and hop up and down, while sitting on her behind. After a while we were able to play musical chairs and switch around from the raft to a kayak. We took a few breaks, at one spot someone had put up a rope swing and most of us went on the rope swing. I had no plans to go on the rope swing, but Claire went on it twice. Evan went on the rope swing 3 times. Evan's first attempt at the rope swing he let go a little to early and landed on some rocks on his behind. Poor thing, I saw his face right after he landed and it was painful. We all encouraged him to try it again. He did, I was so proud of him. Our guide Nick was GREAT with the kids. Claire did the rope swing twice!!! After she did it the first time I reluctantly agreed to do the rope swing as well...I'm not sure what I was more afraid of, hanging onto the the branch or the cold water I was about to fall into. I did it... and it was fun!
As we paddled on we noticed a group of people who needed some help. There were a couple teenagers who had been biking and one of the bikes broke. They were doing down hill mountain biking. They were with a couple who well, looked a little shady. We stopped and gave them some food. We offered water but they already had some. Nick got out of the raft and talked to the people to make sure everything was okay. I don't know how long we stopped, but I am happy Nick stopped and made sure the teenagers were safe. As we got back on track I thought, "well, at least we will go home with a story." Little did I know our adventure was not over and there would be an even bigger event.
We made another stop where there was a rock we could climb up and jump into the river. I didn't do it... I hate heights and knew I wouldn't want to do it. Steve, Evan, Sara, Savannah and Iris all jumped.
We played musical chairs again, I got into a kayak with Savannah and Claire got into a kayak with Sara. Claire had already spent some time in a kayak with Steve. I was so impressed with how comfortable Claire was in the raft and the kayak. We were going through a rapid and Savannah and I started going through a tree. Neither of us was hurt, thankfuly we were wearing our helmets. Well, those in a kayak have to wear a helmet, and I'm sure that is one of the reasons why. After going through the tree I noticed Claire was no longer in the kayak, she was sitting on a spot in the river. I saw her poor face looking helpess as my kayak went right by her. I was in shock. Apparently when they hit a bump Claire was bumped out. In all fairness, instead of sitting back in the kayak like she should she was dangling her fingers in the water. Steve was a super hero and jumped out of the raft so fast and grabbed Claire. Claire asked if she could get back in the kayak with Sara... We were all so impressed with Claire and her bravery.
We had a little more was to go before we met our shuttle bus. We loaded it all up and piled back on. Oh, during the entire trip Nick gave us so much information about the area. He also made sure to include Evan and Claire in conversations. Rafting was so fun, I cannot wait to do it again... Well, I need to wait a day or two at least because my arms are sore. I'm really hoping to talk mom and dad into going rafting while they are here. The season ends in September, so it's gotta be now or next season.

















































Looks like you all had fun!!! How brave Claire was, and how big Evan is getting. Can't wait to see pictures of your Mom and Dad if they do this too
ReplyDeleteAs long as Evan and Claire did not get wet :) :)
ReplyDelete🤣
Delete